2018 has been a wild year in the world of distributed ledger technology. We’ve seen bubbles burst, projects flourish and enterprise adopt blockchain in a big way. As we head into the tail end of 2018 we thought it was the perfect time to take stock, consider where we’ve come from and contemplate where we’re going. In what will probably be a yearly occurrence, we conduct our inaugural ‘State of the Blockchain’ report and discuss the many facets of this emerging industry.
There’s also a great selection of news from across the technology sector this episode – including Walmart giving a blockchain ultimatum to its suppliers, China allegedly compromising a number of huge companies and even progress on a satellite mesh network. Additionally, we take some time to investigate what companies and governments are doing to tackle the transportation problems of the future and some of the ways automated, high-volume transport is already being trialled in controlled environments.
Finally, we check in with our intrepid ‘reporter’ Jordan Cronje, who has successfully escaped Australian Federal Police and has returned to a…surprising reception in a familiar locale.
- Federal Reserve Intro Clip
- Walmart Tells Produce Suppliers to Use Blockchain by Next September
- Scientists Wiped Out A Mosquito Population By Hacking Their DNA With CRISPR
- 70% of Small-Cap Cryptocurrency Tokens Now Worth Less than ICO Raised
- Two of Blockchain’s Biggest Consortiums Just Joined Forces
- Coinbase introduces way of reducing users’ stuck Bitcoin transactions
- TravelbyBit just got a $3.5 million investment from Binance
- Starting 2019, Iridium satellites providing Amazon cloud for internet of things
- China “Hacked” Top US Companies with a Computer Chip
- This Tech Would Have Spotted the Secret Chinese Chip in Seconds
- D-Wave Launches Free Quantum Cloud Service
- Google Announces Project Stream, Which Lets You Stream Games In Chrome
- Concept: Tractors in 2040 Sure Look Intense
- Self-driving trucks will cut logistics costs in half and boost GDP
- Volvo Trucks: Introducing Vera, the future of autonomous transport
- Google: Waymo truck
- HTT Unveils new Hyperloop passenger pod
0:00 The Federal Reserve Introduces the Show
1:59 What have we been up to?
5:25 Blockchain Basics
5:39 Walmart Tells Produce Suppliers to Use Blockchain by September 2019
8:24 Scientists Wipe Out a Mosquito Population Using CRISPR Technology
11:11 70% of Small-Cap Tokens Now Worth Less than ICO Raised
13:17 Two of Blockchain’s Biggest Consortiums Just Joined Forces
15:21 Coinbase introduces way of reducing users’ stuck Bitcoin transactions
17:09 TravelbyBit just got a $3.5 million investment from Binance
20:22 Iridium satellites + Amazon IOT
22:50 China “Hacked” Top US Companies with a Computer Chip
26:40 This Tech Would Have Spotted The Flaw in Seconds
28:10 D-Wave Launches Free Quantum Cloud Service
30:20 Google Announces Project Stream
32:37 Future Tractor Concept
34:52 Autonomous Trucks
39:47 Hyperloop Coming Soon
40:57 2018 Trends & 2019 Predictions
1:15:23 Jordan Cronje Calls In
1:21:35 Wrap Up
NOTE: Nothing, either in these show notes or in any FOMO Show podcast, written or verbal, express or implied, should be construed as financial, legal, tax or any other type of advice. Always perform your due diligence, research projects thoroughly and make sure you hold your private keys securely. Before investing in any project, always seek independent financial and legal advice. And remember – No FOMO.