This episode we talk about how you can get off Google, shut down your Onedrive and take control of your data. From files to calendars, social media to password managers, there is an incredible amount of self-hosted alternatives to popular platforms out there just waiting to be used. The best part? They’re all pretty easy to use – and we take you through many of them this episode.
As if that wasn’t enough, we also have a bumper selection of weird and wonderful news to discuss, including the latest from Facebook’s Libra cryptocurrency, Africa’s manufactured smartphones, China’s worrying new facial recognition measures and scientists implanting memories in bird brains.
BlockFi (a Bitcoin interest account platform) is in the spotlight for our ‘Cool Tool’ and we also chat about a couple of new ways to stay private and secure on the internet.
There’s so much good stuff in this episode, we should really start charging. Lucky we love you all!
Visit us at:
Are you certain you’re private and safe online?
Check out our new resource at https://fomo.show/privacy — it’s a great repository of our favourite tools to understand and improve your online security.
New to cryptocurrency and blockchain tech?
Check out our blockchain basics series, which covers the fundamentals. It starts from Episode 2 and continues until Episode 8.
- Proof of Keys
- Permanent Record – Edward Snowden
- Debt: The First 5000 Years – David Graeber
- Digital Cash: The Unknown History of the Anarchists, Utopians, and Technologists Who Created Cryptocurrency – Finn Brunton
- Pi Hole
- Digital Ocean
- Digital Ocean Tutorials
- Nextcloud apps
- Bosstown Dynamics
- Facebook’s Libra Association crumbling as Visa, Mastercard, Stripe, and others exit
- In a big reversal, Libra reportedly could peg its cryptocurrencies to national currencies
- The IRS Will Now Ask if You Own Crypto in the Most Widely Used US Tax Form
- Economic Dept. of Dubai Unveils Blockchain-Based Business Registry
- IBM launches blockchain-based supply chain service with AI, IoT integration
- Rwanda Launches First-Ever ‘Made In Africa’ Smartphones
- China Will Make Citizens Scan Faces to Sign Up for Internet
- Artificial blood developed for patients of any blood type
- Scientists Zap Birds’ Brains With Light to Implant False Memories
- Twitch megastar Shroud is joining Ninja on Mixer as an exclusive streamer
- Google: Demonstrating Quantum Supremacy
- NASA’s Collaborating With Caterpillar on Moon Mining Machines
- Open the Cookies
- Matt’s LinkedIn
00:00 Andreas Antanopolous Opens the Show
03:22 What we’ve been up to
12:33 FOMO Privacy Resource
13:00 News: Libra Update
16:50 News: IRS Will Ask If You Own Cryptocurrency
18:27 News: UAE Unified Business Registry
19:23 News: Rwanda launches first ever ‘made in Africa’ smartphone
21:42 News: China makes citizens scan faces for internet
23:21 News: Amazing Artificial Blood
24:32 News: Scientists are implanting memories in birds
26:56 News: Shroud joins Ninja on Mixer
30:05 News: NASA and Caterpillar build moon mining machines
31:02 Open The Cookies
32:10 Cool Tool: BlockFi
36:19 Privacy and Security: Proof of Keys
38:12 Privacy and Security: PiHole
40:08 Feature: Self Host Your Life
70:51 Wrap Up
NOTE: Nothing, either in these show notes or in any FOMO Show podcast, written or verbal, express or implied, should be construed as financial, legal, tax or any other type of advice. Always perform your due diligence, research projects thoroughly and make sure you hold your private keys securely. Before investing in any project, always seek independent financial and legal advice. And remember – No FOMO.