As the largest “stimulus” measures in history are being put into place during a crisis, we put our thinking caps on.
In this feature-length episode, we talk about the global fallout of the Coronavirus: financial, technological, and social.
We also discover a microphone to another dimension, in which the hosts have some… strange views.
Lastly, we take a whistle-stop tour of the last few weeks of bitcoin and technology news. Thanks for joining us!
Are you certain you’re private and safe online?
Check out our new resource at https://fomo.show/privacy — it’s a great repository of our favourite tools to understand and improve your online security.
New to cryptocurrency and blockchain tech?
Check out our blockchain basics series, which covers the fundamentals. It starts from Episode 2 and continues until Episode 8.
- Naomi Klein on the Shock Doctrine
- /e/ Mobile Operating System — Google-free OS
- Remain Indoors • Mitchell & Webb
- Internet Straining Under Coronavirus
- Working from home called off after nation experiences an hour of the NBN
- Governments mobilized digital surveillance to contain the spread of the virus
- “We’re not going back to normal” — MIT Technology Review
- The Memetic Institute
- Toilet Paper Crisis Solved as Government Prints Trillions Of Fresh, Soft Dollar Bills
- Rob Irwin Video
- You Can Virtually Tour These 500+ Museums And Galleries From Your Couch
- Binance buys Coinmarket cap (“they have the users”)
- Coinbase Card Users Can Now Make Crypto-Backed Payments With Google Pay
- GitHub Is Burying Bitcoin Code Inside an Arctic Mountain to Ride Out the Next 1,000 Years
- 3 Major Developments That Will Change How You Use Bitcoin
- TeamViewer Pilot — AR upgrade to TeamViewer
0:00 The Shock Doctrine
0:49 Welcome to the show!
2:11 What’ve We Been Up To?
9:24 Microphone To Another Dimension
15:45 Privacy & Security, & Blockchain Basics
16:43 The Coronavirus Fallout
18:00 U.S. Stimulus
20:00 UK Paying 80% of Furloughed Workers’ Salaries
20:56 Australia’s Stimulus
27:30 EU Fallout
30:05 Social Fallout
34:58 Internet Falling Apart
38:16 Surveillance is Booming!
40:08 MIT’s Thought Leadership: “We’re Not Going Back to Normal”
40:55 Broad Economic Outlook
46:34 Positive Fallout of Coronavirus
51:26 Healthcare → Telehealth
55:58 Our Views, in Summary
56:09 Joe’s Thoughts
59:14 Matt’s Thoughts
1:11:22 The News in Brief
1:11:33 Binance buys CoinMarketCap (CMC)
1:12:20 Coinbase Card Can Now Use Google Pay
1:13:30 Github Buries Bitcoin Code in Mountain
1:14:13 Three Bitcoin Developments: Scalability, Privacy, & Cross-Chain Functionality
1:14:49 Teamviewer Augmented Reality Pilot
1:17:05 Wrap Up
1:18:22 Outtakes & Extras
NOTE: Nothing, either in these show notes or in any FOMO Show podcast, written or verbal, express or implied, should be construed as financial, legal, tax or any other type of advice. Always perform your due diligence, research projects thoroughly and make sure you hold your private keys securely. Before investing in any project, always seek independent financial and legal advice. And remember – No FOMO.